Common Telephone Queries
Home > Indian passport and other Consular Services > Common Telephone Queries

Visa Matters

Question 1: - How do I apply for an E-visa to India?

Answer:- Please note E Tourist Visa is not handled by the Indian Missions abroad. Please note that e-visa is issued for a maximum period of 60 days meant for only Tourist, Business and Medical purposes. Please see website for information and completion of online application  icon  For more information, please contact their helpdesk.

Contact number 91-11-24300666 

email id

Regular Tourist Visa

Question 2:- If my visa is issued, from when does the validity begin?

Answer The validity of the visa begins from the date it is issued and not from the date of your departure mentioned on the application form.

Question 3: - After submitting the online application what we have to do?

Answer:- Applicants need to submit the application at VFS Center after prior online appointment. For more information, please contact VFS 0203 793 8629, 203 788 4666 ( icon

Question 4:- What are the normal processing times?

Answer:- Please refer to the icon

Question 5:- Can I send my application directly to the Consulate General of India?

Answer:- No, Visa service has been outsourced to the VFS Global.

Question 6:- Can I confirm all my travel bookings before getting the visa?

Answer:- No, please don’t book your travel tickets until a visa decision has been made.

Question 7:- How we will check the Visa status?

Answer:- You can receive an automated SMS and email at important stages of your visa application if you have opted for this service while submitting the application. You will be notified when the application process is complete. You may send an email at: Please include details such as full name, the Center you have applied through, your passport number, date of birth.

Question 8:- While filling the application by mistake I enter wrong details, can I fill new application?

Answer:- Yes. Since Visa application is online, the information filled during the online registration process will appear on the Visa.

Question 9:- How we will book an appointment with the VFS?

Answer:- Please refer to  iconor you can contact VFS on +44 203 793 8629 , +44 203 788 4666

Question 10:- Where can I get information on the addresses of the Visa Centers in the United Kingdom?

Answer:- Information on the location and timings of all our visa Centres can be found on

Emergency Visa

Question 11:- How to apply Emergency Visa?

Answer:- Please apply on line ( and then take out a print of the application and submit it alongwith requisite documents, photos, emergency visa fees etc, in person at the Consulate General of India, Birmingham, from 0900 hrs to 1030 hours on any working day and from 0900 hours to 1730 hrs during holidays. Application for Emergency Visa should be supported with documents from India like Death Certificate, Medical certificate of Hospital/Doctor certificate etc.  For more information, Please refer to Applicant can also call at 0044 - 121 –236 1556/212 0467.

Only in case of any emergency during out of office hours, members of public can contact the Consulate General of India, Birmingham at +44-(0)-74245 45269.

Please call at +44-(0)121-212-3217 on Saturday, Sundays (0900 - 1700 hrs), public holidays to fix appointment and submit applications


Consular Matters

Please see application process for consular services at URL: icon. VFS is authorised for following Consular services:

1. Attestation of Documents (Birth/Death/Marriage/Educational Certificates etc.),

2. Attestation of Commercial Documents/ Company Documents,

3. Attestation of Documents for Making Application for Allotment of Direct Identification Number,

4. Attestation of Documents for Making Application for Allotment of Permanent Account Number (PAN) in respect of UK Based Companies or Individuals,

5. Police Clearance certificate,

6. NRI Certificate / NRI Parity Certificate,

7. Attestation Copy of Indian Passport or any Other Miscellaneous Certificate (s) based on Indian Passport,

8. Attestation of Sponsorship Letter for Visit of a Person from India to the UK,

9. Certificate for Transporting Human Ashes/ Human Remains to India.

ii. Please submit applications at the Consular Section of the Consulate General of India, Birmingham, in person with prior online appointment on all working days for following services:

1. Attestation related to Power of Attorney/Affidavit relating to Civil matters,

2. Attestation of Power of Attorney / Affidavit relating to Property/ Financial matters,

3. Execution of Will/Gift Deed,

4. Life Certificate for Pension Purpose or for any Other Purpose,

5. Certificate for Transporting Dead Bodies to India,

6. Sworn Affidavit for issuance of passport to a minor child residing in India,

7. Birth registration of Children eligible for Indian nationality,

8. Solemnization/Registration of Marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969.

For details on submission process of application (s) for the above-mentioned consular services and for other procedural and documentation requirements, please see website .


Question 1:- How to book an appointment?

Answer:- Please refer to the website and the link is given on our home page in blue rectangular box. (

Question 2:-How will check the status of Child Birth registration Certificate?

Answer:- Please send the email on with applicant’s name, date of birth and receipt number .

Question 3:- How can I apply for DBS/ PCC/Good Conduct Certificate?

Answer:- PCC service has been outsourced to the VFS, please refer to the  icon

Question 4:- How to apply for child birth registration?

Answer:- Please refer to

Question 5:- If witnesses won’t come for the Power Of Attorney, what we have to do?

Answer:- If witnesses are unable to come then there passport copies should be notarised through Notary public and brought along.

Question 6:-What is the procedure to Attest Indian Marriage certificate?

Answer:- Birth/Death/Marriage/Educational Certificates etc. issued by authorities in India need to be Apostilled in India (for details, please visit Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India web link:  icon) if they are to be presented before the authorities in the UK or before the authorities of the countries that are members of the Hague 'Apostille' Convention of 1961.  No further attestation or legalization of such Apostilled documents is required from the Consulate General of India, Birmingham. 
However, the Consulate General of India, Birmingham can counter attest a document that has been attested by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India or by any of the MEA’s authorized Branch Secretariats in India if the document in question is to be presented before the Missions/ Posts (in the United Kingdom) of countries, which are not members of the Hague ‘Apostille’ Convention of 1961 and where Apostille is not accepted.

Question 7:- What is the procedure to get the copy of Indian birth certificate from High Commission of India?

Answer:- There is no provision to issue Marriage/Birth certificate in the High Commission of India for its occurrence in India. You may like to approach the concerned local authority in India.

Question 8:- What is the procedure to attest Pay Slips/ Bank statement/ UK birth Certificate/UK death Certificate?

Answer:- Documents issued by UK authorities are to be Apostilled/attested by FCO. If required, it may be further counter attested by the High Commission of India. Please visit the procedures for counter attestation of such documents at  icon and submit the application accordingly at VFS Global.




Question 1- What is the procedure and eligibility to apply for an OCI?

Answer:- Please apply online at and submit physically print of application, specified photos, documentation, fees at the VFS Centre with prior online appointment. The service of OCI is outsourced to VFS Global Services by Consulate General of India, Birmingham. For information, please visit link

Question 2:-What are the documents that one needs to submit for applying OCI?

Answer:- The complete documentation checklist depending on different application basis can be viewed at the website

Question 3:- What is the status of my OCI application ?

Answer:- Applicants can check the status of their application on the link  icon. When the OCI application has been processed and is ready for collection, please follow collection procedure given in VFS Applicant can also email at the applicant’s full name, Date of Birth, Passport number, OCI file acknowledgement number to know the status.

Question 4:- How can I apply for Nativity Certificate?

Answer:- The Nativity certificate is to be applied directly in India with the District authorities of place of birth. Application for the same can be obtained from

Question 5:- What is the processing time of application? 

Answer:- The Processing time is 6-8 weeks if the application has been submitted accurately. Any delay beyond the specific time frame cannot be ruled out owing to certain technical reasons. All applicants are advised to book their travel plan only after obtaining the OCI.

Question 6:- Is it mandatory to have a Life Long Visa Sticker (OCI) in the foreign Passport?

Answer:- No, the life Long Visa Sticker process has been discontinued by the Government of India. Applicants are required to carry Valid OCI Card with current foreign passport (endorsed on the OCI Booklet).

Question 7:- Can I still use my PIO card to travel to India?

Answer:- PIO card holders can travel to India on PIO provided the exit journey from India is by September 30,2018. All the PIO Card holders are advised to convert their PIO to OCI by applying through VFS Global Service. For more details, please see link

Question 8:-Is it mandatory to transfer OCI to your latest passport whenever your passport gets renewed below the age of 20 or above the age of 50?

Answer:- Re-issuance of OCI is mandatory every time passport is renewed up to the age of 20 years, and once after completing 50 years of age in view of frequent biological changes in facial features in this age group. Please view the full requirements for re-issue of OCI at the following link  icon

Question 9:- How to apply for Transfer of OCI from old to new passport/Change in nationality/loss or damage of OCI booklet or passport/Change of Personal Particulars?

Answer:- You are required to apply through OCI Miscellaneous services for all the above. For detailed application procedure, please visit link


Indian Passport/Surrender of Indian Passport.


Question 1:- How to apply for Passport Renewal/New Passport/Lost and Damaged Passport?

Answer:- Applicants are required to complete online application at and submit print of application, photos, documentation, fees etc at the VFS Centre with prior online appointment. Please see detailed information at

Question 2:- I want to know about the status of my passport application?

Answer:- To know the status of your application, please drop us an email at the applicant’s full name, Date Of Birth, Passport number, Receipt No. etc.

Question 3:- What is the normal processing time for passport applications?

Answer:- Processing times vary for different categories. For details, please visit link

Question 4:- What passport services are offered by the Indian Visa & Consular Application Centre in UK?

Answer. The following five services are offered:

Re-issue of passport on expiry of full validity passport or on exhaustion of pages or change of name/surname/signature or change/addition/deletion of name of spouse or change of address.

Re-issue of short validity passport.

Issue of fresh passport in lieu of lost/stolen/damaged passport.

Issue of first time passport to a new born child in the UK.

Question 5:- What procedure is to be followed for issue of a first time passport for a newborn child in UK?

Answer:- Birth of the child is required to be registered with the Consulate General of India, Birmingham as a prelude to applying an Indian Passport, for details visit link .For details on applying passport, please visit VFS link Online application is required to be completed at .

Question 6:-Can I submit my application by post?

Answer:- No postal application are accepted. You are required to submit the application in person at the VFS counter as biometric formalities need to be fulfilled.

Question 7:-Till what time Passport could be submitted for reissue before the date of expiry?

Answer:- The passport can be submitted for re-issue up to one year before the date of expiry.

Question 8:- Can I apply for additional Pages in my passport/apply for additional Booklet?

Answer.. Applicants are required to apply for a new passport due to exhaustion of pages and complete online application There is no facility to add more pages or avail an additional booklet

Question 9:- Can my child (minor) travel on my Passport?

Answer:- All minors are required to have a separate passport. Old practice of including a child’s name in the Passport of either of the parents has been discontinued.

Question 10:- How can I apply for Emergency Travel Document/Voluntary Departure?

Answer:- The application form is the same form meant for passport services. The procedure followed is the same as the one meant for issue of a new passport in lieu of lost/stolen/damaged passport. For details, please see Applicant should complete online application at

Question 11:- Can I retain my Indian passport for travel after acquiring a foreign nationality?

Answer:- No. On acquiring foreign nationality, the Indian Passport should be surrendered at the nearest Indian Visa & Consular Application Centre.

Question 12:- How to apply for Surrender of Indian Passport?

Answer:- The Surrender of Indian Passport service has been outsourced to VFS global services. For details, please visit link You can also call their helpline at +44 203 793 8629 , +44 203 788 4666. Monday – Friday ( 8:30 – 15:30 ) (except for Consular Holiday)

09057570045 - Monday – Friday ( 8:30 – 17:30 ) (except for Consular Holiday)

Question 13:- Can I use my Indian Passport to travel after naturalisation?

Answer:- There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the receipt/issue of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. But the grace period is not applicable once the British/Foreign Passport is acquired, he/she should travel only on the British/Foreign passport once the same is obtained even if he/she is within the grace period of three months.

Question 14:- What happens if I use my Indian Passport to travel after the grace period/after acquisition of Foreign/British Passport or avails any service on the same?

Answer:- After acquisition of foreign nationality, no Indian passport related service is granted. However, if the applicant fraudulently takes any passport related service (such as renewal of passport, change of name etc.) or uses the passport for travel after the grace period of three months from the date of naturalisation, he/she is liable to pay penalty etc as per Government of India Passport Rules.

Question 15:- How much is the penalty for misusing Indian Passport?

Answer:- Please refer to the VFS website to know about the penalty/fees and retention charges related to surrender of Indian Passport.

Question 16:- Can I keep both my Indian and Foreign/British Nationality?

Answer:- No. The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian Passport / acquiring Indian Passport / travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign Citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.